Our zoo

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Daisy Mae: 1998-2007




I was hoping that I would get to video blog everyone before I would have to post that we lost one of our special pets. Yesterday, Susan had to make the heartbreaking decision to put our beloved English Mastiff down. She had a good long life in big dog terms, but to ease her suffering,a decision was made so she wouldn't be pain any longer. She ended up with tumors in her lungs and pneumonia. She will be missed.
Daisy was our Alpha "B" amongst our 3 girls, but she would also protect them. At her prime she weighed 150 lbs and was the runt of the litter. Her parents weighed over 200lbs apiece. She was a house dog at first but had a bad habit of wanting out at night, going for a swim in the pond, and then wanting back in only to shake off and hop into bed with us. She was a little large for our 700 sq ft garage apt. we lived in at the time. When we built the house and was cleaning the garage apt we found all this brown splatter on the walls and ceilings and figured out it was dried slobber residue from when she would shake her head. So we decided for sure she would have to stay outside.
Her nicknames were slobberjaws which speaks for itself and we also called her thumperditty, for the druming sound her tail made when she would wag it and it would hit things like the wall the side of the car.
There are so many more memories I could share but I figured I'd share a few.
Got to go... an emergency... will finish.

9 Comments:

  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Tracy said…

    ahh so sorry to hear about Daisy Mae.

    I absolutely loved...

    She was a house dog at first but had a bad habit of wanting out at night, going for a swim in the pond, and then wanting back in only to shake off and hop into bed with us.

    while envisioning this I got a good chuckle. :)

    We sure miss our Tyson. It's so hard to lose part of your family.

    hugs to you and Susan.

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry to hear about Daisy. She is so pretty.

    Just know that she is now over the rainbow bridge waiting for you. She'll surely be ready to slobber on you when you arrive!

    My thoughts are with your family.

     
  • At 4:35 AM, Blogger havlow said…

    Oh man Troy sorry to hear about your loss. I enjoyed the bit about her slobber stains in the garage apartment though.

    I'll keep you guys in my thoughts.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger KatieFeldmom said…

    So sorry for your loss, Troy. Losing a beloved pet is so hard. My thoughts are with you and Susan.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger FV Tom said…

    Dang, Troy, just read about Daisy Mae. I'm so sorry for you guys. What a tremendous loss.

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    Sorry to hear about Daisy Mae.

    It must be really hard for you.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    Gosh Troy - I'm so sorry... and I'm sorry I missed this post before. Thanks for sharing your memories of her :)

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger kpottlitzer said…

    hey troy!

    i'm so sorry to her about your pup. what a sweetheart. ya'll have had a rough year with the animals. i can only imagine that it feels like losing a member of the family.

    maybe we can get together for a steak dinner sometime soon. tell susan i say hello.

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Irene said…

    She looked like a really sweet girl. I'm sure she will be very missed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home