Our zoo

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rest in Peace Little Bit.

We lost one of our macaws yesterday. When Susan went out to feed them she noticed Little Bit didn't fly over to the feed bowl and bully her mate Rocky away from the feed bowl. Susan found her at the bottom of the aviary. She was a Yellow Collared macaw and is referred to as a mini macaw because of their smaller size. We hand raised her when we got her in 1992 and paired her off with Rocky four years later. We think Rocky is around 35 years old, and although Little Bit layed several cluthches of eggs, we think Rocky didn't know what to do or was infertile. They still were a great pair together. I feel so sorry for Rocky and after we wait a month (to make sure Little Bit didn't have something) we will probably bring Rocky back in the house. He can still be handled and we feel this is what's best for him.
You never realize how much a pet touches your life until you lose them. When Susan and I were remembering her past it also brought up a lot of other good memories we have shared together during that same time.
Thanks for letting me be a part of your life Little Bit. You make it that much better. Rest in peace my little friend, you will be missed.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Pamela said…

    awwwww So sorry to hear Troy...
    Hugs to you all hon

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger KatieFeldmom said…

    So sorry to hear about Little Bit. Pets hold such a special place in our hearts and I know you guys will miss her. My thoughts are with guys today.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Janel said…

    Sotty to hear that, Troy, I'm sure you will miss your buddy.

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    Sorry to hear that. You are right about not knowing what they mean to you until they are gone. Even when our dog had surgery it made me stop and think.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger FV Tom said…

    Sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine losing my little landlord friend.

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Alex Trenoweth said…

    Sorry to hear this Troy. Big Love!

    Persephone

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Irene said…

    So sorry.... For what little I know about birds, I do know that many of them are monogomus. I hope Rocky will be okay.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home