Our zoo

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Smarter than the average cow, moo moo

O.K. here's the plan I came up with to laod Zazu and Zena to go to the Vet Friday. Ramps and pallets. As you can see Zazu took full advantage of the new load and go system I have developed(well, with a little help from NASA ,lol). Anyway when we evacuated last Sept. for Rita the only way we got all 7 cows in The Land Arc was to rope em and physically drag them in to the trailer. They don't step up into trailers well for some reason.Yes and I hit several 10"s that day! So Friday's the big day, dehorning!(I bet Susan would get that done to me, lol, especially with the 2 new friends arriving shortly.) It should be painless though.You can have it done for 10 bucks where they are run into a chute and the vet takes these clippers and whacks them off. It's pretty traumatic and I'll spare the details, or you can go the 70 dollar ride, you talk them every so nicely into the chute, and then we praise them and pet them. The vet gives them a local in that area and ever so delicately removes the horns with precision and accuracy with the extra dollar pair of Ivory handled horn removers. Then he stitches each area up, applies some antibiotics and we bring them back home. I think we have to pay extra for the stitches! Anyway it will make it safer for us during feeding, they tend to get a little horny!
The workouts and eating are still pretty much on, as usual.
Today before I go to work I'm going to try a new dish that sounded good. It's turkey breast, brocolli flourets, chicken broth, onion and cous cous cooked together. Takes about 15 minutes, so I'm gonna give it a try.It also called for bell pepper, but Troy don't do dat or tomatoes!
You guys have an awesome day!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger K. Marie said…

    I watched someone dehorn his cattle once at the feedlot. You'd think I'd have some Silence of the Lambs trauma going on after that experience, but, well, not so much.

    Still, pretty gory. Nice of you to go with the nicer method.

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger FV Tom said…

    Hey, I'll talk nice to the little heifers for 50 bucks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home